Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The XT-SC Spectral Compressor - Excellent!
05-04-2017, 04:14 PM
I just found out that the XT-SC compressor works incredible well on a double bass that's sounding deep muddy, with ambience and very dead thanks to a bad recording!

I'm currently mixing and partially mastering a whole bluegrass album where the bass sounds as described above. I've tried all sorts of EQing, compressing, limiting and processing, including the XT-BC Bass Character and also non Harrison pluguns, such as u-he Presswerk and Calf Bass Enhancer (which is quite good for this kind of job).

I suddenly got the idea to try the XT-SC compressor and BANG, the bass fit into the mix!

Whell, I go to sleep now and continue tomorrow, good night! :-)

Mixbus and Mixbus32C running on Linux (Kubuntu) with the KXStudio repositories
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2017, 06:27 PM
RE: The XT-SC Spectral Compressor - Excellent!
(05-04-2017 04:14 PM)Jostein Wrote:  I suddenly got the idea to try the XT-SC compressor and BANG, the bass fit into the mix!

Cool tool! I used it on a nasal voice with neither features in the top nor bottom range. With nasal it was annoying and if you took the nasal out it was quite dull and dead. Voice character failed: where there's no body there's nothing to enhance...

With calf exciter followed by the SC I could get something out of it (basically a bright voice which fitted in) without making it harsh.

MMM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 02:03 AM
(05-04-2017 06:27 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:  Cool tool! I used it on a nasal voice with neither features in the top nor bottom range. With nasal it was annoying and if you took the nasal out it was quite dull and dead. Voice character failed: where there's no body there's nothing to enhance...

Yes, I will test in on anything from plosives and essing to fretboard noise and a lot of other stuff. I can't believe that I did not test this plugin before now!

Mixbus and Mixbus32C running on Linux (Kubuntu) with the KXStudio repositories
05-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Of the Harrison x-tools plugins, it's probably my favorite. Very versatile and you have to try hard to make something sound bad while using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mixbus 32C 4.3.19 - Linux Mint Mate 18.3 4.4 Low Latency kernel - Focusrite 6i6 (2nd Gen) - Icon Qcon Pro X - Dell 3847 i5-4460 16GB RAM
05-05-2017, 10:10 AM
(05-04-2017 04:14 PM)Jostein Wrote:  I just found out that the XT-SC compressor works incredible well on a double bass that's sounding deep muddy, with ambience and very dead thanks to a bad recording!

I've used it in the same manner - it's great. You can also try using it on the master channel and compress(Mid) up to 2 dB from 468 - 825 Hz and maybe 0,5 dB on the adjacent bands. It could bring some "air" and clarity into your mix.

Steinar :-)

Mixbus32c 4.1.716 Kubuntu Linux 64 17.10, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM

"When you compress something that's already been compressed it loses everything, it loses its life" - Alan Parsons
10-18-2017, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 06:39 PM by mejon.)
I used it for the first time today on the master bus, and it worked remarkably well, and for a similar reason - taming back some low end which made the midrange of the mix punch a lot more.
12-29-2017, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the tip!

iMac i7 4Ghz | OS X 10.12.5 | 8GB | Mixbus 4 32c & Mixbus 4| MOTU 828Mk3 |"Rock Solid Sound Since 1980" |