Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ardour5 launches 32C does not
11-11-2017, 10:39 PM
RE: Ardour5 launches 32C does not
(11-10-2017 06:34 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 09:19 PM)BruceGA Wrote:  You are certainly correct on Windows updates and installs. I don't see how businesses will keep using it the way they leep adding things that are mainly geared for entertainment.

Easy. Serious businesses create an SOE (software operating environment) which contains a very customised version of Windows without brik-a-brak. It's still possible but needs some skills with GPO/Registry etc. The SOE also contains all software needed at the workstation. Once that is done, tested and approved, an image is created. Now whenever a new PC arrives or one of the existing malfunctions it will be wiped and the image will be copied on. 20 minutes later you have a cloned PC (or 10 or 100) which does exactly what you want it to.
It's possible to make a Windows-Image of a Mixbus station, too, and you just add the license after installing.
AVLinux is basically an image of a working Linux station. (read the manual)

MMM
(did a few in different companies/government agencies)

Everything up through Windows 7 this was possible...with Windows 10, not so much. The closest you can get is Windows 10 LTSB. And MS is still jerking that around. Since 10 runs as a service, it's a pain. You can only getthe LTSB by subscription or volume licensing. I tipped off my previous employer (small private college) about it and it has helped. They were having to a bunch of scripts to get rid of stuff, but some things you cannot remove, like xbox support and other gaming things that a business doesn't need.

While there are some cool things in Windows 10, the drawbacks are NOT easily overcome. We did images where I worked, too, but they (MS) have really changed the model.

Bruce
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2017, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 11:41 PM by gpj1136.)
Uninstalling LADSPA did not seem to help.
The error did not show up when I used the gcc5 version.

I am going to try KXstudio, I am having trouble with AV linux not wanting to install. KXstudio installs fine but I will need to find, and add drivers. I may try Ubuntu version 16.10 also All I need for that is my USB wifi driver. More user's seem to like AV, or KX better though.

I would like to try debian with the KX repositories and learn to tweak the kernel for RT or low latency, and build a personalized studio. I really only want to run 32C with VST, XT plugs, and Maybe Calf plugs. I can't imagine needing anything more. Audacity? maybe.

I have currently broken my Ubuntu 17.10Angry. I cannot move files ( the debian iso's I downloaded ) to a different partitionDodgy but Mixbus doesn't seem to like that version any way, at least not for me.

I wanted to add, I got my Windows version working clean again, so that will give me time to learn, fail, and retry until I gather enough knowledge to do some real damage.
I have Ubuntu on my other computers, and really prefer it to windows. I started using it when I built a frankenstein laptop out a few that died and needed an operating system.
My studio is filled with windows programs so I have been reluctant to change, but 32C changes that for me.

(11-11-2017 09:05 AM)x42 Wrote:  looks like the same issue as https://community.ardour.org/node/15363 (tl;dr Ubuntu ships a buggy csound ladspa these days; un-installing the "csladspa" package should do the trick)

After reading your link I may try 17.10 again it's hard to tell now that I have messed it up if it is the LADSPA or what I have done to it. I added KX repos and something went wrong and it is buggy,and I can't move files, but other than adding 32C I haven't done anything else. I'll download the repos fresh and start over.

This time I'll remove anything I don't want in my studio first then try the fresh KX files. I'm thinking they were corrupted somehow. USB wifi maybe it, I've had some glitchy access and reconnects.

Thanks,

How have people received Ubuntu 17.10, It seemed decent before the trouble started. It looks like a new LTS 18.10 is coming soon.

X42, If I may ask what version of linux will work best with Ardour, and Mixbus.
11-12-2017, 01:33 AM
(11-11-2017 10:42 PM)gpj1136 Wrote:  X42, If I may ask what version of linux will work best with Ardour, and Mixbus.

I'm not X42 Smile but I try to help, too...
I used AVLinux most of the time through the last 4 years, it was simply convenient. However, the drawback is that it has a lot of pinned packets and backported stuff. So it's good if you use it more or less "as is", but if you start customising/upgrading it it will give you some hairpull.
Recently I installed a pure Debian 9 with XFCE on my mixing machine, added just what I needed and I'm very happy with a zippy machine. I don't even bother about RT or performance governor - on demand works fine and makes the machine noiseless as the 140mm CPU fan on the big heatsink never revs up. I will make a little script to switch into "performance" and back if needed.
Didn't try wine/winVST yet, can't be bothered... but will probably be able to compile what I need when I need it. I have most of the important lib-devs on the machine anyway as I had to compile the latest release candidate of LMMS for JACK MIDI connectivity.
Anyway, since you seem to have "one of these" computers my recommendation is to start with a blank sheet - Debian 9 netinstall.

MMM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2017, 01:39 PM
@madmaxmiller,
You have already helped me more than you Know, Thanks

I'm glad to hear this. I have come to the conclusion That debian 9 with KXstudio repos might be the best for me, and have downloaded all three DVD's in case there is anything useful in them.
After your post I'll have to re-examine the decisions I have made. I'll need to read up about adjustments for audio. Possibly I won't need the repositories. I am really only interested in Mixbus with VST. I do track in 32C so low latency is still important.
I have VSTI's I would miss, then some misc plugs, and compressors I still use. I don't remember touching a third party EQ for quite awhile now. 32C does so much, and the calf plugs look interesting. I like the Harrison plugs also , so I might not miss much other than my drum software.

I will try Ubuntu 16.10 as mixbus still wouldn't launch after a reinstall of all LADSPA plugs in 17.10. Maybe a hardware issue. It will be nice when I have learned a bit more.

While I am using that and becoming more acquainted with the underpinnings of jack, alsa, and how everything works together I can build debian 9 on another partition.
11-12-2017, 05:39 PM
(11-12-2017 01:39 PM)gpj1136 Wrote:  While I am using that and becoming more acquainted with the underpinnings of jack, alsa, and how everything works together I can build debian 9 on another partition.

Once finished, add Jack2 and the jack-pulseaudio module and a2jmidid, then follow "The shell script method" here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pul...rough_JACK

If you choose "none" for MIDI driver and untick "ALSA MIDI support" in qjackctl and add
a2jmidid -e
sleep 2
to the pulse-jack-post-start.sh script and
killall a2jmidid
to the pulse-jack-pre-stop.sh script you are set with all audio and MIDI conveniently routed through Jack.
Now install Mixbus32C and see how it performs.

Cheers,
MMM

P.S. of course when everything is working you can add qjackctl -s to your session startup in the XFCE panel...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-14-2017, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2017 05:19 PM by Ilaw.)
Hi
I had a lot of pbs with US 17.10 so I came back to 16.04.3 LTS and it works with all my softs for audio. Ubuntu studio is a great pack but you should only take LTS versions. Ubuntu studio LTS (for Long Time Support)

Harrison Mixbus 4.2|Reaper5|Tracktion7| Ubuntu Studio 16.04.3 LTS
11-18-2017, 05:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2017 05:42 AM by gpj1136.)
(11-14-2017 02:54 PM)Ilaw Wrote:  Hi
I had a lot of pbs with US 17.10 so I came back to 16.04.3 LTS and it works with all my softs for audio. Ubuntu studio is a great pack but you should only take LTS versions. Ubuntu studio LTS (for Long Time Support)

Seems like my problems were related to the KX repositories. I did a reformat, and started fresh with 17.10 using X42's advice. I now have a working system. KX studio crashes on my system every time I start the updates so I went back to Ubuntu. I had problems with AV linux and my wifi. AV is also very picky in the BIOS, and requires tweaking that turns off some of the newer features. Most of which probably would not effect performance though.

Debian, and Ubuntu work if I download Cadence, and Carla with a manual install. I am going to try them both, and decide which kernel is more stable for my system. It has become obvious that there is no one solution that covers everyones system. Some of the trouble I am having seem hardware related ( usb wifi ) for instance. I purchased one without non free drivers and have less trouble with updates. I could not successfully get the drivers for my Asus N53 to work in all versions of linux kernels I have tried, without extensive searching for fixes. I bought one with a Tux logo, and all versions have worked so far.

Next on the list is working to improve the performance of my UR22 interface. ALSA is not happy if I use a buffer less than 128. I will also need to decide which VST bridge to use for SD2, and a few other VST I wish to use.

I am a little curious if a VST bridge might make VST3 usable. I have no need just curious.

Without any tweaking other than removing the LADSPA Ubuntu works out of the box so to speak with better CPU performance than Win 10. If I can get the same buffer of 64 I'll be happy, but I am shooting for 32 if it is possible. 64 is my limit in Windows.

It takes a lot of googling but, I am learning a lot. Once I get a system I'm happy with I plan on only updating when it's neccessary for future Mixbus releases. This has really slowed me down as far as song writing, and tracking. Still I feel in the long run it will be worth it. As Harrison, and the Ardour team add more features, and function to Mixbus, and Ardour I believe many more will port to linux. Once you understand simplicity of the Jack/Alsa universal connectivity between programs it breaks a lot of barriers to the switch.
11-18-2017, 08:18 AM
I had some pbs with KX repositories too.

Harrison Mixbus 4.2|Reaper5|Tracktion7| Ubuntu Studio 16.04.3 LTS
11-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Now I have found ARCH linux. Curious I anyone has tried it with Mixbus. They have claims of as low as 1ms - 5ms latency. From what I have read so far, it has a package installer for making it easier to build an rt kernel.
Today, 01:44 AM
After a fair amount of searching and trying different kernel I discovered a decent way, and easy way to install an rt kernel with a fast desk top for the novice linux user, or anyone who wants to have a clean install. It is in this new thread.

http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum...-5379.html