Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Working with Other DAWs
02-14-2018, 07:27 AM
RE: Working with Other DAWs
(02-14-2018 06:12 AM)Klaus Wrote:  If you can play the recording in Bitwig, you could patch a digital output of your interface into a digital input of an interface connected to Mixbus...
Sorry to sound 'smart' ;-)
Best

Klaus
Hi Klaus, thanks for your input.Wink
No problem about sounding smart... the problem starts when trying get some one like me to understand what you mean..Wink. I use an Allen & Heath Zedi 10 FX mixer to record via its USB in to MB 32C or in this case to the Bitwig DAW

Regards

Alan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2018, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2018 10:55 AM by jonetsu.)
(02-14-2018 06:12 AM)Klaus Wrote:  If you can play the recording in Bitwig, you could patch a digital output of your interface into a digital input of an interface connected to Mixbus... Sorry to sound 'smart' ;-)

Not sure about the idea being so smart... Dodgy That means having both Bitwig and Mixbus32C running at the same time but moreover it means establishing all the connections for a 1:1 recording of an average of 35 Bitwig tracks into 35 Mixbus32C tracks. Is the setup worth it for a one shot type of thing when exporting 35 tracks takes about 3 minutes and importing them in Mixbus32C less than one minute ?

current: Tundra Tango
Soca Philosophy
Elixir
02-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Hello Alan,

And the $400 price tag for Bitwig does not end there. After a year, if one whishes to get updates it's then $169 per year of updates. There's no need to pay yearly though. One could decide to update only 3 years after buying although during that time there'll be no other updates. This said there exist a '8 track' version of Bitwig that's bundled with some products. I think the Nektar keyboard controller has or had one.

Some, perhaps many, people say that mixing can be done in Bitwig. I don't. I call it rather a creative compositional tool. The Clip Launcher and the Arranger bears no ressemblance to any mixing DAW. Clips of any length are recorded into Scenes and can be modified in any which way. Scenes can also be organized in many ways. Then Clips and Scenes can be recorded into the Arranger to transfer work to a more finalized version of the song. This is impossible to do with Mixbus as it was not designed to do that from the ground up, but to record full tracks (with some looping capability but nothing that can be compared to arranging columns of Clips in any which way).

For mixing Bitwig falls short of many commodities found in mixing DAWs such as Mixbus. Not to mention, in the case of Mixbus32C, the sound. Indeed, in Bitwig sounds are clearer and perhaps even punchier, although I'm not certain about this making a good ground for distributing something resembling a finished product out there.

Cheers.

Soca Philosophy
Elixir
02-14-2018, 12:25 PM
(02-14-2018 11:17 AM)jonetsu Wrote:  Hello Alan,

And the $400 price tag for Bitwig does not end there. After a year, if one whishes to get updates it's then $169 per year of updates. There's no need to pay yearly though. One could decide to update only 3 years after buying although during that time there'll be no other updates. This said there exist a '8 track' version of Bitwig that's bundled with some products. I think the Nektar keyboard controller has or had one.

Some, perhaps many, people say that mixing can be done in Bitwig. I don't. I call it rather a creative compositional tool. The Clip Launcher and the Arranger bears no ressemblance to any mixing DAW. Clips of any length are recorded into Scenes and can be modified in any which way. Scenes can also be organized in many ways. Then Clips and Scenes can be recorded into the Arranger to transfer work to a more finalized version of the song. This is impossible to do with Mixbus as it was not designed to do that from the ground up, but to record full tracks (with some looping capability but nothing that can be compared to arranging columns of Clips in any which way).

For mixing Bitwig falls short of many commodities found in mixing DAWs such as Mixbus. Not to mention, in the case of Mixbus32C, the sound. Indeed, in Bitwig sounds are clearer and perhaps even punchier, although I'm not certain about this making a good ground for distributing something resembling a finished product out there.

Cheers.
Hi Jonetsu, I understand what you mean... I've already deleted Bitwig from my PC
MB 32C does all I need. it's just when I read this forum the content is posted from many experienced people that it tempts me to investigate to see if something really is that much better.http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
02-14-2018, 12:52 PM
Sorry not to be more specific...
I meant running 2 computers, recording / playing in Bitwig, ( you said it gets you a punchier sound )
and routing via dedicated interfaces to the second computer / Mixbus for mixing.
You will have to compensate latency of plugins manually though...
But not having to play racks from disk will free some cpu...
at least here it does ( no SSDs here )
best
Klaus

http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
02-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Klaus,

I see. Although I would think that the punchiness of the Bitwig sound would be represented when Bitwig exports the tracks and not only when Bitwig is playing them. It would be in the audio files themselves that were exported. Maybe. If Bitwig is transparent. If this is true, then having Bitwig feed Mixbus32C in real time would yield the same result eg. that the sound will be smoother in Mixbus32C. Because of Mixbus32C itself.

This said, I am not certain at all that the crispier sound in Bitwig is a good thing down the road to having a production that aspires to have some kind of a place on the market. The apparent clearer dynamics in Bitwig can be recreated in Mixbus32C but in such a way that the first 'smooth' integration of Mixbus32C is taken as a base to push the envelope which would result for the listeners, maybe, as a better overall experience. If not one that could be more emotionally gripping.

Cheers.

Soca Philosophy
Elixir
02-14-2018, 03:41 PM
The apparent clearer dynamics in Bitwig can be recreated in Mixbus32C but in such a way that the first 'smooth' integration of Mixbus32C is taken as a base to push the envelope which would result for the listeners, maybe, as a better overall experience. If not one that could be more emotionally gripping.

I agree I just have to learn more to achieve this

Alan
02-14-2018, 05:15 PM
jonetsu,
I was proposing to let Bitwig play the recordings instead of buying a Bitwig license ...to save the files.
And Mixbus is using less resources when only monitoring inputs instead of playing files also...
At least that is true on my rig...
Otherwise I agree of course :-)
Best
Klaus

http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
02-14-2018, 07:18 PM
(02-14-2018 05:15 PM)Klaus Wrote:  I was proposing to let Bitwig play the recordings instead of buying a Bitwig license ...to save the files.

Ah, OK !

Tschüß.

Soca Philosophy
Elixir